Monday, March 24, 2014

Why Tech People should blog?

This blog is about why there are not many technical blogs out there and why are technical people scared about writing things that they know. In any given field, the knowledge is so vast that not one person cannot know everything. So, it only makes sense, that every person knows something that the others don't. In fact, that means, everybody is smarter than others in some way. Sharing what you know is a great way to spread knowledge. If that is the case, then we all should write technical blogs and share our knowledge.

But it is true that, we would rather comment or criticize someone rather than take the beating down ourselves. Here is why, most technical people don't blog.
"I don't think I am an expert!" , " What if I say something wrong?", "What if people think that I am stupid?" "What if I get a lot of criticisms", "I don't write too well", "I don't know what to write about!", "I don't think I can explain things properly" etc etc.,.



 But here are a few reasons why every technical person should blog.
  • You can learn a lot.
  • Your writing skills improves.
  • You create a strong identity which interests recruiters.
  • You share your knowledge.
  • You get accustomed to criticisms and learn from them.
  • You can connect with people of your own taste.
  • You can create a community with your interest and network. 


But, what can you write for a technical blog? Here are some tips

1. Write about something that interests you. Write about a problem you solved, a problem that needs to be solved and you don't know how. You can write about your research.
2. Write about something you learnt recently. Write about something that always fascinated you in your field.
3. Write about something you recently heard in news and how you can solve the problem with technical expertise.
4. Write about things related to your passions, your goals.
5. Write about products you love to use, and how you can improve on them. 

So, with all these ideas, and all that we gain, each of us should start blogging and share our knowledge.  



References:
[1] http://technicalblogging.com/why-every-professional-should-consider-blogging/
[2] http://www.littlekendra.com/2011/01/13/onblogging/
[3] https://major.io/2012/03/30/why-technical-people-should-blog-but-dont/
[4] http://bonniegroessl.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Blogging.2.jpg

1 comment:

  1. This was actually the thought that I had before I wrote my first blog. It throws light on the mindset of engineers who are hesitant to write blogs and share the technical knowledge that they have. Really good blog in this aspect!

    ReplyDelete