Of all the open source
analogies, the one that I enjoy the most, partly maybe because I love cooking is,
"Open source is like sharing a recipe."A recipe that is shared for free and we can alter the recipe to make it our own. That is an interesting thought, isn't it?
If we think more about it, I feel open source
taps our creative energy. We can receive hints from various recipes and make
our own recipe. We can then savor and relish the dish and share the recipe with
our friends. That is the distinctiveness of an open source package. Deceased
are the days when we go look for the best software which offers all the
features that we need, only to discover that it is expensive. In the end,
we compromise over a free version with less features. With an open source
package, you can select the features you demand, customize it to meet your
needs and distribute it with the community.
These are two wonderful open source softwares
for mathematical computations I came across recently.
1. Octave - the best alternative
for MatLab. It is mostly intended for numerical computations. This
software was a savior for us for a machine learning class project which
needed MatLab. It provides extended features for information visualization
and has a great deal of graphical capabilities. Vector calculations and matrix
calculations are fast. There is usually a talk that open source software does
not have good documentation, but octave documentation gives you what you need
and is very helpful.
2. Sage (Open Source Mathematics Software) -
When Wolfram Alpha gives up factorizing a 72 digit number, this software does
it in seconds. Wolfram Alpha allocates limited computing power for each
mathematical operation that is being executed and gives up after a limited
amount of time. Whereas, Sage completes complicated computations within
seconds. It gives you a separate worksheet to work with and the worksheet can
be saved for later use. If octave is already installed in our system, we can use
Octave from Sage by calling the octave command within Sage. This combination is
the best for numerical computations. An example for using Octave within Sage is as follows.
'ans = 4'
And, a recent find was,
3. Borg Disassembler - Borg Disassembler is
an excellent open source free dis-assembler for Win 32 PE files and is
definitely capable of competing with OllyDbg and IDA Pro. OllyDbg is a
shareware and IDA Pro has very limited features for free. Borg Disassembler is
a free, open source software and has necessary features for dis-assembly and
reverse engineering.
Open source is the best thing that happened to
developers. A developer instead of relying on buying software can build
wonderful things on open source. Having stated all that, in that respect are
always secret recipes in the market that will not be revealed whatsoever.
Dishes made out of secret recipes like Windows definitely costs money for all
its worth. For people who love ready-made, it either costs money or the wait
for the software to exist. For people who like customized things, open source
is that is.

This blog was very informative. I learnt about three different open source software namely Octave, Sage and Borg Disassembler. I liked the way you compare open source to cooking recipes. It made the blog more interesting and creative.
ReplyDeleteI feel that you could have probably added more information with regard to you personal experiences with open source software and what you enjoyed/disliked the most about it.
This blog is an interesting technical blog as it talks about three open source software ( Octave, Sage and Borg Disassembler ).
It also talks in general about the pros and cons of open source software and how it is becoming the latest trend in the software industry.
Hi Swapna,
DeleteThanks for your review. I am happy that you liked my post. I would definitely take your suggestions but I did write about my personal three favorite softwares, my personal experiences with the software. So, am not sure how much more personal I could get. But, I will keep this in mind for my next post. Thanks again for your review.
I learned about the various open source software that you discussed, but I was really interested about “Sage” because I use Wolfram Alpha daily. It’s surprising to know that they actually do calculations within seconds when I would spend at least ten minuets on a calculus problem. Overall, I enjoyed your blog and the analogy you made comparing it to recipes; however, I felt like you should have included an image to make it a bit more visual. In addition, I felt you did an excellent job making this an opinion editorial as well as a technical blog.
ReplyDelete